This weekend is the 8th Annual Shorebird Festival at the famed Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. Saturday, August 24, from 8am – 5pm. This festival welcomes everyone of every level in birdwatching in a comfortable size group setting. This is the perfect opportunity to meet many friendly world renowned birders, photographers and authors who are experts in shorebirds of every level. Plus meet new friends and catch up with old friends. It’s not to late to join in for any part of the day (A $20.00 donation is requested to defray expenses.) This program is free and open to the general public on a reservation basis. Bring water, lunch, binoculars, scopes and wear sensible shoes, including rubber boots if you have them. Please Contact Don Riepe at 718-474-0896 or Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Directions to Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge (718) 318-4340
From North, East, and West:
- Belt Parkway to Exit 17 S, Cross Bay Boulevard.
- Proceed south on Cross Bay Boulevard across the Joseph Addabbo – North Channel Bridge.
- The Visitor Contact Station is approximately 1.5 miles past the bridge on the right.
- Turn right at traffic light for Visitor Contact Station parking.
From the South (and alternate route from other directions):
- Beach Channel Drive to the Cross Bay – Veterans Memorial Bridge.
- Cross the bridge toward Broad Channel.
- Follow Cross Bay Boulevard through Broad Channel, about 1 mile.
- Turn left at traffic light into the Visitor Contact Station parking lot.